Prerequisites and Requirements
- Age - Minimum is 18 years.
- Experience - Specified for each Leadership course. Required logged dives shall be varied in environment and depth.
- Rescue Certification - At a minimum, Scuba Rescue Diver certification is required except for Skin Diving Instructor, for which a lifeguarding certification is adequate.
- CPR & First Aid Certification - Current certification or verified competency in CPR and First Aid is required for registration. Certification training shall include one person adult CPR, infant/child CPR, two person CPR and the use of rescue breathing barrier devices, e.g. pocket mask®, face shield.
- Medical Approval - Verification of good physical condition as documented by a medical examination and unconditional approval for diving by a licensed physician within the preceding 12 months.
- Administrative Requirements - Submit a complete course application, provide and be responsible for dive gear suitable for open water and provide all required texts and materials.
- Meet all course prerequisites.
- Be currently certified or have verified competency in CPR and first aid.
- Complete all portions of the course.
- Meet all course administrative requirements.
- Pass the applicable leadership exam with a score of 75% or better.
Membership Application and Registration
Upon completion of all certification requirements, each Leadership graduate must complete a NAUI membership application which the instructor will process in accordance with current procedures. Applicants will be registered as Leadership members in the appropriate category and status and be sent new member information.
Qualifications and Leadership Members
Leadership members of NAUI are entitled to benefits detailed in the Association Bylaws and in the NAUI standards. A NAUI Leader may renew membership annually in any one of several statuses by meeting renewal requirements.
A NAUI Instructor is a person dedicated to the motto of "Dive Safety Through Education"; a person whom others look to for leadership and knowledge. NAUI has always been and remains today the most prestigious agency focusing on diving instruction. You can share the adventure - and help create it! If you believe your work should be enjoyable and exciting, if you are eager to share your knowledge with others, if you believe that to train the best you must be among the best trained, join the finest. Join the adventure!
Qualifications of Certified Graduates
- Certified NAUI Instructor course graduates (ITC or ICC) are qualified to apply for Instructor membership in NAUI in any status provided for in the bylaws of the association.
- An active-status NAUI Instructor may independently teach NAUI sanctioned courses and authorize NAUI certifications for graduates.
- An active-status NAUI Instructor may independently conduct NAUI recognition and experience programs and authorize formal recognition for graduates.
- An active- or sustaining-status NAUI Instructor is a voting member of NAUI.
- A NAUI member Instructor may renew such membership annually (in any one status) by meeting the requirements set by the NAUI Training Department and Membership Committee.